- originally designed and produced for the web
- can be single or continous Webisodes
- distributional platforms: Youtube, Vimeo, Newsground, …
Funding of international TV formats via commercials, Public TV (GEZ) and/ or Pay TV. Whereas Webseries just have a small budget and therefore work due to a low cost policy.
Besides Webseries have to deal with the audiences’ SHORT ATTENTION SPAN. According to a TubeMogul study in 2008, the average video viewer spends less than one minute watching any clips on the internet.
An explanation can be that people acustom themselves to different viewing habits such as watching videos from different surroundings (on the bus, train, at school, etc … ). Furthermore they’re not restricted to a computer anymore (e.g. Smartphones and Tablets )
How to deal with shorter attention spans?
- different measuring of Hook, Hold & Payoff
- ( quick and gripping ) emotional Hook
- Payoff/ finish that keeps people interested
e.g. Web Therapy
- it’s about a therapy holding sessions through web media
- Hook is more of a Hold ( Self-referentiality )
- using a web presentation being part of the web presentation
(House of Cards 2013)
(Orange is the new black 2013)
- Blur between web and tv formats
- Kevin Spacey lecture about the future of television
Financing and its impact on storytelling
The more commercial breaks:
- the more cliffhangers are included
- lead to a different story structure
Another commercial model is the Product Placement and its enhancement the Branded Entertainment:
- PRODUCT PLACEMENT – way of financing a film/ series by visually including commercial products and in exchange getting paid by the brands
- BRANDED ENTERTAINMENT – includes commercial brands directly into the world (e.g. in Easy to Assemble )
Trend among brands to get involved in classic TV series by sponsoring WEB SPIN-OFFS ( cheaper than product placement). Besides they have more experimental freedom on the web.
Web Series and beyond – most exciting developments?
- TRANSMEDIA SHOW ( The Truth About Marika , Wer rettet Dina Foxx )
- ONLINE SHORT STORIES – bold, quick. sassy
- SOFT SCRIPTED-DAILY DRAMA ( Berlin Tag & Nacht )
- NETFLIX ( House of Cards )
- telling a story through several media platforms
TRANSMEDIA LIGHT according to Rebecca Ahlen:
- TV Series being accompanied by e.g. real Facebook Profiles ( for their fictional characters )